NEW MADRID COUNTY, Mo. – Authorities say an unattended candle led to a deadly house fire Monday in southeast Missouri.

The New Madrid County Sheriff’s Office says one woman was found dead as crews responded to a house fire early Monday morning.

Investigators say the fire broke out around 4 a.m. in the 500 block of East Pine St. in Morehouse, Missouri. When crew arrived, they noticed smoke coming from two sides of the home. A woman was found deceased in a bedroom.

These are the 15 fastest-growing small towns and cities in Missouri

According to the New Madrid County Sheriff’s Office, investigators determined that the fire started in the bedroom. A candle was left unattended in the bedroom after the power went out at the home.

The victim’s identity or age was not disclosed. No other injuries were reported from the fire.

The Morehouse Fire Department, Sikeston Department of Public Safety and the Missouri Fire Marshals Office all offered assistance in the fire response.